- Candidates must be at least 18 years old.
This course is the first part of the Approved Engine Course qualification and will give you knowledge of working with diesel engines and associated systems through a mix of classroom theory discussions and hands-on experience in our workshop. The outcome of it will see students meet the requirements of the MCA Codes of Practice for the Safety of Large Commercial Sailing & Motor Vessels, the Safety of Small Commercial Motor Vessels and the Safety of Small Workboats & Pilot Boats.
This is a good starting point for anyone looking to begin a career as an engineer of small vessels (Fishing Vessels, Yachts, Tugs, Workboats, Standby, Seismic Survey, Oceanographic Research Vessels and Government Patrol Vessels), and will see you gain the skills and knowledge to carry out fault detection and prevention and service marine diesel engines.
The following areas are addressed:
- Annex 5 of the Safety of Large Commercial Sailing & Motor Vessels Code defines the Engineering Competencies required for these vessels.
- Annex 7 of the Safety of Small Commercial Motor Vessels Code defines the Engineering Competencies required for these vessels.
- Annex 11 of the Safety of Small Workboats & Pilot Boats Code defines the Engineering Competencies required for these vessels.
Over the five days, the Approved Engine Course 1 will cover a range of topics, including:
- The general principles of compression ignition engines and the role of air in the process
- Spotting faults and correcting them
- Engine electrical systems
- Hull fittings and power transmission units
- Cooling and lubrication systems
- Laws around pollution and safe working practices
On completing the full 5 days, you will be given your certificate for the course.
All equipment to complete the course will be provided. You just need to bring a pair of suitable footwear.
Please note, you will need to have completed the STCW Basic Safety Training course before working on maritime vessels. If you do not yet have this qualification, you can book on one of our courses here.